LONDON, United Kingdom – The 2019 London SUP Open, Stop #1 on the APP World Championship Tour for racing will kick off today and provide something for everyone in partnership with the UK’s single largest Festival of Fitness: the Hackney Festival of Fitness.
London has long been a melting pot for international sporting spectacles, and this weekend, it is the London Borough of Hackney, just down the road from Olympic Park that will host World’s very best SUP athletes from over 20 countries Worldwide, as they battle it out at the Opening stop of the 2019 APP World Championship Tour.
The London SUP Open will consist of two key racing disciplines:
- Distance: Athletes will compete in the 13km course from the Tower of London to Putney, aptly names the ‘Race from the Tower’. Passing the majority of London’s most recognizable landmarks on their way down the Thames, the World’s best will be looking to navigate their way down the tidal waterway central to London’s inner workings for Centuries and be the first to arrive in the renowned rowing town of Putney in SW London. The whole race will be LIVE broadcast on www.appworldtour.com and @appworldtour, as well as on site in Hackney on the big screen from 9:35am UK time (GMT +1) on Saturday 18th May
- Sprints: This fast paced, arena format of SUP Racing will provide a real show to the Hackney Festival of Fitness, with non stop action from 11am – 3pm, as the world’s best will take on the 220m sprint course in an elimination format that will see the strongest sprinters take charge on a full day of action in Hackney.
Connor Baxter leading the charge in last year’s event. | Photo courtesy: APP World Tour
The London SUP Open welcomes paddlers and enthusiasts of all levels to participate and rub shoulders with the world’s best in the unique environment in Hackney for a weekend to remember. With courses catering to Pro-Am and experienced open participants in the 6km and 9km range, to more entry level courses in the 3km and 1km range, Saturday will provide open participants the opportunity to take part for themselves from 2pm UK time in the company of the world’s very best athletes.
In addition, on Sunday morning from 8am, open and junior sprints will provide the opportunity for participants to race the same course as the pros and experience the excitement of fast paced sprint racing from themselves as an opener to the APP Tour Sprint Racing that will kick off at 11am.
For last minute registrations, schedule information and much more please go to londonsupopen.com (appworldtour.com) and join us this weekend in London!
Photo courtesy: APP World Tour
Schedule of events:
- Friday, 3pm – 7pm: Hackney Festival of Fitness Pool and Canal sessions with the APP and Event Opening
- Saturday: 9:30am- 8pm: ‘Race from the Tower’ for APP Pros @9:35am (Live Broadcast), Pro-AM & Open Racing on the Canal in Hackney from 2pm Pool and Hackney Festival of Fitness Pool and Canal Sessions with the APP throughout the day together with Lizzie Carr Plastic Patrol adventures, Q&A and Movie Premiere
- Sunday: 8am – 4pm: Pro-Am and Am Sprint Racing from 8am and Pro Sprint Racing to kick off at 11am (live Broadcast from 10:45am UK time – GMT +1)
About APP World Tour
The APP World Tour is the Professional World Championship Tour for the Sport of Paddlesurfing (also known as SUP / Stand Up Paddling / Paddleboarding), officially sanctioned by the IOC recognized Federation for Surfing Sports, the ISA (International Surfing Association). Re-branded in 2017 as the APP World Tour (previously known as the Stand Up World Tour and Series) the APP has been crowning the sport’s World Champions for both Men & Women across Racing and Surfing since 2010.