SAN FRANCISCO, California – In its 8th year the Battle of the Bay paddle board race will be returning to the heart of San Francisco in support of Ocean of Hope. New for 2018, the event location will see a new home at Aquatic Park Cove, a National Historic Landmark, located on San Francisco Bay.
With $12,000 in prize money on the line, 2018’s Battle of the Bay will take place on Sunday, September 30 and will offer races for paddlers of all skills and ages. On the bill for the weekend is……
- A 7-mile Pro Course for 14’ SUP’s with $12,000 in prize money on the line.
- A 6.5-mile Open Course with SUP, Outrigger, Prone, and Surfski Divisions,
- A 3-mile short Course with SUP, Outrigger, Prone and Surfski Divisions.
- A free-kids race (no pre registration – just show up on race day to register)
- A Saturday Event Opening party @101 Surf Sports San Rafael
- Connor Baxter SUP Clinic
- Zane Schweitzer Foil Clinic
- A Rough water Surfski Clinic with Kenny Howell
Photo Courtesy: Battle of the Bay
As a 4-star event on the Paddle League, the Battle of the Bay is set to attract many of the world’s top racers as the perfect lead up into the Pacific Paddle Games happening the following weekend in Southern California. The pro SUP racers for both men and women will be racing just one 6-mile race this year with both divisions on 14ft boards and the prize money split evenly amongst men’s and women’s divisions. The 6-mile course will feature a beach start & beach finish at Aquatic Park that sends the athletes around the South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge and back. With $12,000 dollars on the line, and a 2 knot Ebb tide on their bows, you can bet it will be one legit Battle.
For more info on the event and to register click HERE.