PARIS, France – On December 8th & 9th, the APP World Tour finishes its racing season with the World’s Largest Participatory Race in Paris. This third and final stop on the 2018 World Tour will be where the 2018 APP World Champions for SUP racing will be crowned.
In addition, the Paris SUP Open will host a mass participation race, building out of the 9-year legacy of the Paris SUP Crossing which is the largest SUP race in the world to date recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records. Registration for this extraordinary event will open on September 15th, 2018 and be capped at 800 paddlers. The opening of registration for the Paris SUP Open will be the same day as the historic Statue of Liberty paddle in NYC, 2nd stop on the 2018 APP World Tour and City Paddle Festival events.
The Paris SUP Open, will be held in front of a global audience at the Nautic Salon Nautique, one of Europe’s premiere boat shows. Bringing together water men and women from all over the world, the APP promises an event like no other.
Saturday, 8th December 2018:
- Come for the Mass Registration event for the Sunday paddle at the Salon Nautique;
- Stay for the FINAL SHOWDOWN for the World Championship Tour Sprint races INDOORS at the Salon Nautique;
- Join in the WELCOME EVENT at the Salon and meet some of the World’s best championship paddlers including: Connor Baxter (Starboard), Casper Steinfath (Naish), Michael Booth (Starboard), Mo Freitas (Boardworks), Arthur Arutkin (Fanatic), Sonni Honscheid (Starboard) and Candice Appleby (Infinity), as well as young guns Ryan Funk (Starboard), Shae Foudy (Infinity) and Annie Reickert (Naish) to name a few.
- Witness the Paris World Tour Sprint Podium which will feature revolutionary new race elements and racing formats to be showcased in New York and unleashed in the Paris event.
Sunday, 9th December 2018:
- Participate in the world’s most famous SUP Crossing race on the Seine wth the APP World Championship distance course built in, creating the largest and most dramatic inclusive long distance race of the season to close out the year!
- Enjoy lunch and celebrations back at the Nautic Salon Nautique including afternoon Q&A’s with the Pros and demos in the pool.
- Be a part of the APP World Championship Tour podium crownings for Sprints, Distance and the much anticipated Overall 2018 Champion for both Men & Women in the Pro division.
- Participate in the Paris SUP Crossing awards ceremony and cheer on the community!
Hundreds of paddlers gather for the Paris SUP Crossing. | Photos Courtesy: APP World Tour
The APP World Tour released a statement regarding the final event for 2018 saying:
The APP World Tour is proud to create a legacy in the professional sport(s) of stand up paddle racing, and SUP surfing. We are the longest standing World Tour event in the history of the sport of paddle boarding and eager to share with you our success.
The APP World Tour chose Paris in December for the culmination of our World Tour Finals because we believe in legacy. The history of the Paris SUP Crossing and the accreditation of partnering with the Nautic Salon Nautique, one of the nautical world’s largest industry gatherings, offers a perfect showcase for this final event on the 2018 APP World Tour.
We are proud to partner with such great history and are honored to continue to build on the legacy of the historic Paris SUP Crossing as the Guinness Book of World Record’s largest SUP mass gathering. We are also excited to have the APP World Tour Finals showcased at such a historic venue to celebrate the world of water sports, specifically the performance aspects of Stand Up Paddle Distance and Sprint Racing.
The Paris SUP Open is also the final stop of the City Paddle Festivals, capping off an iconic 1st year in this new direction for the emergence of community participation at every one of our Paddleboarding World’s Most Iconic Cities (as cited by Forbes Magazine on 07/16/18) on the World Tour.
Stay tuned to parissupopen.com / appworldtour.com
About the APP World Tour and City Paddle Festivals
The APP World Tour is a Professional World Championship Tour for the Sport of Paddlesurfing (also known as SUP / Stand Up Paddleboarding / Paddleboarding), officially sanctioned by the IOC recognized Federation for Surfing Sports, the ISA (International Surfing Federation). Rebranded in 2017 as the APP World Tour (previously known as the Stand Up World Tour and Series), the APP has been crowning the sport’s World Champions for both Men and Women across racing and surfing since 2010.
For more news on the APP World Tour click HERE.